SALEM, N.Y. (July 15, 2014)
- 2014 marks 100 years of industry leadership for elevator/escalator trade organization
- For the last century, NEII® has been the preeminent trade association and foremost
authority for codes and standards in the building transportation industry
The National Elevator Industry, Inc. (NEII
) is commemorating the 100th anniversary
of the first recorded meeting of the Elevator Manufactures' Association (EMA), which later became NEII
In 1914, the first meeting took place in the Iroquois Hotel in Buffalo, N.Y. The trade organization was initially established
in response to changing urban environments and the need for codes to safeguard the riding public in elevators. The organization
developed the first model elevator code which would serve as the basis for today's modern ASME A17.1 safety codes.
As the premier trade association for the building transportation industry, NEII
's principle responsibilities remain the promotion
and advocacy of the latest safety codes and standards, endorsing the adoption of the latest model codes by local government agencies
and encouraging the introduction of safe, innovative building transportation technology.
's timeline encompasses many notable milestones, including:
- Development of the first model elevator safety code; "Uniform Regulations for the Construction and Installation of
Passenger and Freight Elevators" in 1917.
- Release of "Elevator Layout Standards," which later became the "Building Transportation Standards and Guidelines,
NEII-1," providing invaluable information on all products, standards, guidelines and terminology associated with vertical transportation.
- Development and distribution of "Safety Regulations for Field Employees" in conjunction with the International Union of Elevator
- Launch of CodeFinder in 2006, a single-resource for NEII member companies to find accurate, up-to-date information on all the
local codes, standards and regulations that affect business and safety practices.
A detailed history
of the organization can be found on NEII
's story is one of unprecedented industry leadership, cooperation and achievement," said Richard T. Hussey, president of
. "As we celebrate our centennial, we also look to our next 100 years of helping make the elevator industry even safer,
more sustainable and innovative for our customers, employees and the riding public."
National Elevator Industry Inc. (NEII) is the premier national trade association representing the interest of firms that install,
maintain and/or manufacture elevators, escalators, moving walks and other building transportation products, including parts or components.
NEII promotes safe building transportation for new and existing products and technologies, and works with various organizations
on the formation, adoption and enforcement of the latest building transportation codes and standards. NEII membership includes
the major elevator companies in the United States, if not the world. NEII offers Regular, Trust and Individual memberships. For
more information about NEII, please visit www.neii.org.
# # #
Gibbs & Soell Public Relations
Return to News Releases